Monday 19 August 2013

The Scan

So I finally had my first pre natal checkup. Things are done a little differently than they are back in Australia. The first thing I had to do was book in for an ultrasound……..a transvaginal ultrasound (TVU) :-O

With my first child I never had to have a TVU so I was pretty nervous. My husband accompanied me and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, uncomfortable but not too bad. I found out I was 9wks last Saturday, so a week later than I thought. The baby had a nice strong heartbeat, 160 and we could see it moving around which was very cute and very exciting for my husband, as this is our first child together.

I took the ultrasound results back to the OBGYN, she was happy with it and asked me to go have some blood tests in the next couple of weeks, just the typical ones, full blood count, rubella, HEP A, B, iron etc. I asked her if I should be taking iron tablets yet but she said no, only folate. This is also different from home because you take iron and folate from the very beginning, and they usually check your HCG levels etc. The nausea has subsided this week, its still there but not like it had been but i'm still really tired.

From what I understand there will be a fair few more ultrasounds along the way to check the babies growth and progress, I only had two with my first. It is nice though because you get to see what is growing inside you. My husbands favourite day of the week is the weekly update on the babies growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment