Monday 12 August 2013

Natural v's Medical Intervention

I still don't have my first prenatal appointment (notice i've picked up on the pregnancy lingo….its been a long time I'd forgotten the right term).

I went to check out St Luke's Hospital's birthing suits (they give tours)….they are fantastic. You have a range of options, from a simple room to a room with its own waiting room and spa bath (I want this one haha). I had two tour guides, two young nurses. I asked them if I would give birth here in the room they said no.

This was of course proceeded with the big W.H.Y…because I would need to go downstairs where I would have my cesarian, this will be the recovery area!! Ummm I don't think so ladies!!! This was followed by a puzzled look (do expats not push??) and an odd question... have I had a baby before? Yes, 8yrs ago. Do I have any medical problems or complications…not currently! Well, in that case…I would give birth up here.

I believe that all women should choose how they want to give birth, however, I am an avid supporter of natural birthing. I don't understand why having a first child would warrant a cesarian??? If anyone knows please feel free to shed some light on the topic…that doesn't have to do with money!!


I did a little research and found some information from UNICEF. The cesarian rate in the Philippines is 9.5%, pretty low in comparison to western countries. However, 27% of that 9.5% represent the wealthiest portion of society. St Luke's is where all the wealthy go…could this possibly have something to do with it? I decided to ask my tour guides which doctor they would choose…there was a quiet muttering in Tagalog followed with "if you want to give birth, this is the only lady who will make sure you go as far as you can!!"

I could go into my whole view on natural v's medical intervention but I'll save that for another time. What do you all think?

No comments:

Post a Comment